Forum

September 17, 2018 0 comments

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

About Magic

Are spells " scalable "?   In HARP you can put in more Power Points for greater effect- more damage, another target, greater range, etc.

In the combat example that is up-  the Elf provides back-up by firing his bow.  It would be nice if a Mage had something to contribute like that.  Just my thought.

Looking forward to your example of what a Mage can contribute. thanks!

While I have your attention- any idea on when the Kickstarter will launch?   2019 is almost half over!  🙂

Quote from Blood Axe on May 19, 2019, 6:46 pm

Are spells " scalable "?   In HARP you can put in more Power Points for greater effect- more damage, another target, greater range, etc.

Yes! Warping options allow you to enhance (or "scale") the effects of the spell you casts, much like scaling in HARP or casting a spell at a higher level in d&d 5e.

Quote from Blood Axe on May 19, 2019, 6:46 pm

While I have your attention- any idea on when the Kickstarter will launch?   2019 is almost half over!  🙂

The Kickstarter will launch this autumn!

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

AWESOME! Thank you. You can certainly count on me as a backer.  I cant wait.  🙂

Quote from Topramesk on May 19, 2019, 1:06 pm

Good idea! We'll write a combat tutorial involving some low-level spell casters in a future blog post.

About overcasting, yes there will be rules for overcasting in the full rules. However, it won't be an easy option. It won't be simply a matter of taking some penalties or spending more MPs. There will be a hefty price to pay, because magic in VsD is meant to be powerful, but also dangerous if used indiscriminately.

Any news on that combat example with the Mage?

Quote from Blood Axe on June 20, 2019, 11:32 pm
Quote from Topramesk on May 19, 2019, 1:06 pm

Good idea! We'll write a combat tutorial involving some low-level spell casters in a future blog post.

About overcasting, yes there will be rules for overcasting in the full rules. However, it won't be an easy option. It won't be simply a matter of taking some penalties or spending more MPs. There will be a hefty price to pay, because magic in VsD is meant to be powerful, but also dangerous if used indiscriminately.

Any news on that combat example with the Mage?

Yup, it's in the pipeline. We've got a few more blog posts scheduled before that, though, so you might have to wait a bit for it!

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Eagerly awaiting said posts!

Its been 2 & 1/2 months since we have chatted about a game play example involving MAGIC.  Any news on that?

Don't worry we haven't forgotten about it, we're just very busy with the preparations for the KS at the moment, so as you noticed we had to slow down with the blog posts.

Maybe we could do it here instead, would be a bit quicker perhaps. What characters had you in mind? Shall we use the pregens?

Quote from Topramesk on July 31, 2019, 6:21 pm

Don't worry we haven't forgotten about it, we're just very busy with the preparations for the KS at the moment, so as you noticed we had to slow down with the blog posts.

Maybe we could do it here instead, would be a bit quicker perhaps. What characters had you in mind? Shall we use the pregens?

Anything that you think will show what magic can do in a combat situation. An example or two would be great.  Pregens is fine. What you think is best. Thanks.

Perfect. Keep in mind that I'm talking just about what you find in the Quickstart here; the full rules have lots of additional spells (about 300 spells in total IIRC), meaning that spell casters will have more options, even at lower levels.

Anyway, at first level,  as an Animist, Deirdre most directly "offensive" spells will be Hinder and Animal Sleep. Both very situational, but I've seen them used to good effect. Hinder, in particular, is very effective when coupled with an ally armed with ranged weapons, as it basically forces the foes to spend all their actions to move across, essentially turning 6 meters of movement into 12.
I remember one particular occasion during the playtest, where the 3 goons from the adventure were easily taken out by Tobold and Gandrell exaclty beacuse Deirdre slowed them down with Hinder, preventing them to escape.

Mornien has Ignite, Poltergeist (I've seen this used with hilarious results even at higher levels), Sleep, and here you can see that even the lowly Phantom Sound can be used to end a combat!

Also, don't forget the elvish Spell Songs, like Song of Tranquillity, incredibily powerful at first level!