Forum

September 17, 2018 0 comments

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

About Magic

Hi, I have just discovered vsd and it looks very good. It has got me excited the same way MERP did back in the day. Character creation is fun, well thought out, the spell lists are great, especially the Animist and the Elven chants have a very real feel to them. I am very happy to see NO Ranger spell lists. For me Rangers & spell casting don't mix or make realistic sense.

Thats just me though. In saying that, will there be a Ranger vocation in the full version? The XP allocation is a good idea also. The only thing I am not quite sold on is the wealth level. Later on when characters increase in level and start to buy land and buildings I am not sure how easy it would be to figure out the purchase cost. I did notice on the WEAPONS TABLE, length is spelt lenght. Minor point but I just noticed it. Congratulations on a very promising RPG.

Hi Mark and welcome to the forums!

First, let me thank you for your kind words and for spotting that typo! We'll fix that in the next update.

So, the full rules won't include a Ranger vocation, because we turned the ranger (well, "strider" to be precise) into a background option you can tack on any vocation to get a ranger-like character.

Want to go for the classic "warrior of the wild" type of character? Make a warrior and take the Strider option. Want something more sneaky, like a guerrilla fighter, probably good with ranged weapons? Rogue + Strider. Want to be able to use some magic, like the old d&d or MERP ranger? Use either the Champion or the Dabbler Vocation plus Strider, and concentrate on nature-related Spell Lores.
You can also go with the full caster path! Animist Striders are possibly some of the best survivalists in the game.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Thank you for your reply, It seems a good idea to have a few base characters and the ability to spend background points to get various bonuses rather than having 50 different vocations that are only slighty different like role master does, not that there is anything wrong with role master, it is a great game, just more complex in some areas where it does not need to be. Another great idea. I very much look forward to the kickstarter.?

Assuming the kickstarter goes well, are there any other plans for supplements or modules in the future? Probably a bit early to ask that question yet maybe. Also, will the spell lists stop at 10th level in the full rules or beyond that.

Cheers.?

Quote from Mark Archer on August 21, 2019, 11:42 pm

Assuming the kickstarter goes well, are there any other plans for supplements or modules in the future? Probably a bit early to ask that question yet maybe. Also, will the spell lists stop at 10th level in the full rules or beyond that.

Yes, we have several things in store for the future should the KS go well! There will surely be more scenarios coming, and probably other supplements, but we have other ideas in mind, too!

Spell Lores in the full rules will stop at the tenth Weave, but you'll have rules to go beyond that, should you wish to do so!

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Alright thank you look forward to the kickstarter⚔️. The weave rules are a nice touch too.?. one last question, are there any plans to make shield a skill, with attack and parry? Rules like not sleeping on a bedroll outdoors without getting weary are gold, small rules like that make the game that much more realistic for me.