Forum

September 17, 2018 0 comments

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Attunement

A couple of questions.

I assume "taking your time" for +20 is usually applicable.

If an Attunement roll is only a Partial success or fails, under what conditions could it be attempted again?  Looking at MERP/Rolemaster one could say Partial Success must wait a week to try again and Failure must wait until one has improved the Arcana skill (e.g., at least leveled and spent points on it)

I ask mainly thinking about a Darkmaster's relic that has a 'fairly modest' and 'dismissed' ability (as in "this once-a-day Heal spell bauble, oh I've had it for ages, nothing special, why would the Orcs be tracking us just for it") easily learned but over time (with greater and greater likelihood of attracting attention) reveals its more potent abilities but for which Attunement can only be attempted after the passage of time/experiences such as resonance.

Rob

Yes, Attunement is an Arcana Skill Roll, so characters can "take the time" while attuning to an item.

It also obeys to the "The Die is Cast" rule (pg 122): characters cannot attempt a new Attunement roll unless the situation changes in their favor. Developing new ranks in Arcana would surely count, as it would being helped by a sage, or discovering something new about the item's history.

Learning only part of the item's abilities is a perfectly good complication for a Partially Successful Attunement roll!

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Thanks, I had read that rule but not "absorbed" it properly.  Similar to "Let it Ride" in Burning Wheel and I like it.

Quote from Rob Harper on December 21, 2020, 6:50 pm

Thanks, I had read that rule but not "absorbed" it properly.  Similar to "Let it Ride" in Burning Wheel and I like it.

That's right, it's very similar to Burning Wheel's "Let it Ride" rule!

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.