Forum

September 17, 2018 0 comments

Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumAgainst the Darkmaster: Off TopicBlàithnaid
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Blàithnaid

Am I correct that the Elf-woman Blàithnaid's name is Irish-Gaelic in origin. Thinking that then can be used as Elven if avoiding the too-common names to the modern ear (no Patricks).

The trick with this as with Welsh/Brythonic languages is that words/letters are pronounced differently than in English though the original spelling is much more evocative than the phonetic approach.  I think, if going with the Irish presenter of this name on how to pronounce it, it's Blaw-nid

https://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/others/learned-love-hard-pronounce-irish-name#:~:text=On%20her%20blog%2C%20%22What's%20me,together%20to%20share%20their%20stories.

Rob

Hey Rob.

You are correct, the name Blàthnaid is Irish Gaelic, it is pronounced blow-need and means "Flower-crowned" or something like that 🙂

We thought introducing in the game a Celtic/Gaelic feel by giving the Elves (and some other Kins too - but mostly the Dusk Elves) Irish names.

I agree they sound awesome and also are meaningful, plus they are different from the ultra-abused "fake-Sindarin" names we are accustomed too or the modern-day names that IMO spoil any sense of wonder from a fantasy setting.

Nice to see you got this right!

Cheers

- ToM

For no one in this world you can trust, my son. Not man, not woman, not beast. But STEEL... this, you can trust!

Thanks, good call.

I assume in "Blow-need" the "ow" is as in "cow" not as in "blow".

In Keltia the Belgae (dominant Mannish people) speak faux-Brythonic/Welsh (so names can come from the character list in Bernard Cornwell's "Warlord Chronicles" whereas the Tolosoth speak faux-Saxon (so Cornwell's "Last Kingdom" series).  The (dusk) Elves speaking faux Gaelic (which seems similar to Brythonic but is not) works well as the Belgae and Elves have a long association.

Rob

Hey Rob.

Good call: 'ow' is pronounced like in "cow".

I studied a little Celt culture and glottology myself and know that Gaelic (Irish/Scottish/Mans) and Goedelic (Welsh) languages are actually very different in both grammar and pronounciation, but share strong similarities in the roots of words.

I think it's absolutely reasonable to be inspired by real world cultures equivalents when building up a fantasy setting to give it a sense of plausibility that in my opinion adds to the suspension of disbelief. This, having different distantly related cultures in your setting share some common roots and speak vaguely resembling languages sounds just about right to me!

For no one in this world you can trust, my son. Not man, not woman, not beast. But STEEL... this, you can trust!