Forum

September 17, 2018 0 comments

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Crafting enchanted items/Alchemy/Runes

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for bringing back this awesome game from my ancient times ๐Ÿ˜€
One of the things I missed from MERP was the possibility for Dwarves and Elves of crafting magical objects unless they were Wizards. Is there any chance we could get some rules for this, for example, access to special cultural spells or abilities? It is not necessary to get rules for creating Silmarils or Rings of Power, but something else than the Forgekin trait for Dwarves.

Thanks

Hi Alex and thank you!

We've worked on a few rules on something like that (gemcrafting, runes-smithing and the creation of items of powers), and you will likely see more of that in the future. I never liked having item creation linked to spell casting myself, so we're trying to handle it differently.

However, we're not sure if they'll be included in the full rules. First, because we haven't playtested them as extensively as we'd like. Secondly, because the page count of the main book is already pretty high and we'd prefere to avoid bloating it with too many optional rules.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

That's awesome. I like all that kind of crafting separated from spell casting too, so I'll wait for future news about it. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

This remind me another question: there is nothing about secondary skills in the rules, so when I was creating a dwarf character I wanted to give him the skill "Forge". I have linked it to Brawn stat, and used the Exceptional Training Background option in order to get 5 ranks. However, in case I want to increase those ranks, should I use the rule of transferring Development Points from another category on a 2:1 basis?

Secondary/Specialty skills will be covered more in depth in the full rules.

In your case, as a quick HR, I'd say you could transfer ranks from any category on a 1:1 basis to the Forge skill.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

In my other games there are multiple ways to enchant.

Runes - created by usually anyone that hold no power.ย  A mage simply has to put power into them.

Essence - energy from a living thing used to imbue an item with power, blood sacrifice.

Will - highly skilled non mage can make something so wonderful that it becomes enchanted.

Mage-smith - smith with enough magic to enchant the ingots that he/she then smiths into items, this sometimes backfires as you do not know what you are going to get.

Enchanters - take a well made item and turn it into a magical item.

Divine crafted items - cleric type or other magical type that earns spells from extra-dimensional beings.ย  Infuses an item with the power of their mentor.