Forum

September 17, 2018 0 comments

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Early Access Feedback

Here we go with a few more questions from the review:

• Page 133, second column, 4th point (under Prone): I undertand that an Engaged character cannot Stand up from Prone, right? Bercause they canโ€™t take Movement Actions unless they Disengage. The character should first Dissengage and then Stand up, is it correct?
  • Page 140, paragraph just before CONDITIONS: "A Critical Failure means the wound isn't healed...". But is the blood loss stopped?
  • Page 140, second column, example from Incapacitation from Injuries: Athelstane total penalty should be -105 instead of -115 if my maths are right.
  • Page 184, 5th paragraph: "... freshly-gained Drive Points is things go...", should be "if" instead of "is".
  • Page 193, Powers of the Wyrmspear: It indicates that due to be a Runesilver Dragon-Slayer, it ignores any Critical Strike reduction imposed by the enemy. However, the description of Slayer weapons previously states that Critical Strike reduction is applied after considering them as Lethal. Is it a mistake in the object description or an additional ability it has in addition to Dragon Slayer?
  • Some letters appears wrong under the Criature Type (CT) stat of the Bestiary:
    • Giant Eagle: Wind Lord, LB (I assume it should be EB)
    • Wild Beast: Dire Bear and Mastodon, CB (It should be HB)
    • Wight: CH (It should be HH)

And I think I'm done with my first reading through the whole document. I'll try to start playing with my group as soon as possible using this Alpha-document, so if we find more issues, questions, mistakes and doubts, I'll post them here.

Now wishing to see a formated version with all those awesome ilustrations asap ๐Ÿ™‚

Quote from Alex Perez on January 25, 2020, 2:43 pm
  • Page 193, Powers of the Wyrmspear: It indicates that due to be a Runesilver Dragon-Slayer, it ignores any Critical Strike reduction imposed by the enemy. However, the description of Slayer weapons previously states that Critical Strike reduction is applied after considering them as Lethal. Is it a mistake in the object description or an additional ability it has in addition to Dragon Slayer?

It's an additional ability: Wyrmspears ignore Dragon's crit reduction AND are Dragon Slayer weapons.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Hi again!

We have started playing with the alpha rules, and everything is going rigth at the moment, except yesterday, when someone tried to shoot a character in melee. Using the rules in page 136 we discovered a weird situation: because it was very easy to miss the shoot (the attacker had a very low CMB bonus and there were a lot of penalties due to cover, Defense, etc.), it was a better option to shoot the friend engaged in melee, miss the shoot, and then apply an Attack Roll with +0 CMB and no modifiers against the enemy (the only adjacent combatant to the original target). Those rules should be revised and modified, because the present way seems not convincing for us during the play (we went for another option asigning random realocation of the shoot including all the combatants, even the original target). Additionally, those rules should consider differences in size of the combatants in the melee. For example, in our case there was a troll engaged with a human, so it is difficult that a human could provide good cover for a troll, whereas the opposite is true. In addition, if the shoot miss the original target, there should not be the same probability of impacting the troll or the human, due to the difference in size.

We'll keep playing and informing ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Alex,

yes, larger creatures will provide more than Partial Cover, possibly distrupting Line of Sight and thus preventing ranged attacks against creatures Engaged with them. We'll add a note about it in the rules, thanks!

Also, remember that if modifiers bring the attackers' CMB below +0, their attacks are ineffective and inflict no Damage nor Critical Strikes (we introduced this rule precisely to prevent this kind of weird situations :-)).

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Quote from Topramesk on February 16, 2020, 6:06 pm

Also, remember that if modifiers bring the attackers' CMB below +0, their attacks are ineffective and inflict no Damage nor Critical Strikes (we introduced this rule precisely to prevent this kind of weird situations :-)).

OK, now I have a doubt regarding this. What modiffiers are applied to the attacker CMB (in order to see if it falls bellow +0) and which ones to the whole Attack Roll? For example, the weapons Combat Bonus Mod for the different armor types (pp. 115-116) are applied to the Attack Roll, not the attacker CMB, so they do not count for Parry and I understand that neither for considering CMB below +0. I mean, if a character has +8o CMB with a club, he could parry with 75 and still make an attack with +5 (despite the Attack Roll will get a -10 for the club against all armor types), is it right? Or does that mean the attack will miss automatically because +5-10=-5<0?

Oh, I can see why it sounds confusing. I think we should slightly reword this part and possibly add an example to make it clearer.

Basically, if the final number you add to the roll is below 0, the attack is ineffective. And this is true even if your CMB would otherwise be positive (but you accrue higher negative attack roll modifiers).

So, in you example, the character's attack would be ineffective.
In the same way, a character wielding a club with a +5 CMB would be able to Parry with 5 but wouldn't be able to deliver effective attacks without gathering some positive modifier first (e.g. by Flanking the enemy).