Forum

September 17, 2018 0 comments

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

First play session with Latest Beta

We played online so it was clunky a bit but not due to the rules. My small group has the advantage of being former MERP and Rolemaster players (Even HARP) so it wasn't too hard of a leap.

Combat is stunningly fast (After years of 5E) with some realistic wounds and such being past around. I loved watching my players debate about actually fighting versus finding other solutions, and then when they decided to fight they placed themselves in the position with the best possible advantage. Careful thought versus "Leroy Jenkins!".

Magic seems very tone down with actual damaging spells not coming to a few levels later. Players were disappointed about that and the Weave cap (Highest Weave can't be higher than character level). We home-ruled a -5 mod for each weave above their level and only for the spell mods. They were restricted to the the Lore level = Spell's known. So if they cast a Weave 1 spell and added +2 weave from mods, they got a -10 on their casting roll and +10 on Resonance (I figured they are tapping higher powers a bit beyond their abilities so they can't 'hide' them as easily).

Our next session is next weekend and we really enjoy the system so far. Looking forward to having that big book in my hands.

Nice house rule on the magic system, I can see it working fairly well in settings were magic is more common.
Really glad you're enjoying the game, keep us updated!

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

I’ve been considering that house rule, too. I’ve also expanded on the Abstract Positioning considerations, defining “Areas” and assigning, in relation to these, Range modifiers to weapons. Also decided to apply these to Overland Travel (calling these mega spaces “Regions”) requiring “Resources” (initially derived from a collective PC pool of WL points) through which to travel. This probably will prove a first step toward making all items that are not animals or weapons a completely abstract pool of Resources.

(The designers probably remember that my group was frustrated with the middle world of Wealth being abstract but not actual items. 😉)

That's a really interesting concept!

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Quote from Gabe Dybing on June 2, 2020, 11:08 pm

I’ve been considering that house rule, too. I’ve also expanded on the Abstract Positioning considerations, defining “Areas” and assigning, in relation to these, Range modifiers to weapons. Also decided to apply these to Overland Travel (calling these mega spaces “Regions”) requiring “Resources” (initially derived from a collective PC pool of WL points) through which to travel. This probably will prove a first step toward making all items that are not animals or weapons a completely abstract pool of Resources.

(The designers probably remember that my group was frustrated with the middle world of Wealth being abstract but not actual items. 😉)

Gabe, these rules sound super cool! We actually considered a more abstract equipment system, like that found in games like M:YZ or Forbidden Lands, and a more abstract travel/exploration system, like in The One Ring or some Powered by the Apocalypse games.

In the end we decided to leave these options for future expansions and supplements because it would have been straying too much away from the "source material"and. We left a mixed system, having a more traditional bookkeeping for the equipment and an abstract system for Wealth and Treasure. But your ideas sound pretty cool!

For no one in this world you can trust, my son. Not man, not woman, not beast. But STEEL... this, you can trust!

Looking forward to those expansions already! It will be interesting to see how well your future work conforms to my original hopes and dreams for the product (and what I end up doing with it on my own).

I’ve also built a number of expanded tables and further defined narrative concepts/emulations. In time I suppose I’ll discuss more about this on Discord. Right now I’m just eagerly awaiting the full product! Love it so far (despite minor reservations, of course).