Forum

September 17, 2018 0 comments

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Grappling

So of course, session 1 this nightmare comes up. The player was trying to subdue an escaped wolf rather than actually kill it. (I may have missed the subdue/non-lethal section in the last release so I apologize if this is redundant and someone can point me to the page and section).

I also see comments about maneuvers. So is grappling going to be one of those in the full release as well as Subdue or non-lethal attacks? If not, how is that handled then?

Grappling a wolf? 🤔

Anyhow. Grappling and subduing/nonlethal rules will be in the full rules, along with dedicated attack and critical strikes tables 👍

For no one in this world you can trust, my son. Not man, not woman, not beast. But STEEL... this, you can trust!

2 wolves had escaped from a circus wagon cage and they were offered a larger reward if they didn't badly harm them. Hence grapple and non-lethal attacks.

The same would apply if you wanted to capture someone, which my players have basically set themselves up as bounty hunters so I can see this coming up often.

SOLIDToM has reacted to this post.
SOLIDToM
Quote from Mike Ruland on June 1, 2020, 8:38 pm

2 wolves had escaped from a circus wagon cage and they were offered a larger reward if they didn't badly harm them. Hence grapple and non-lethal attacks.

The same would apply if you wanted to capture someone, which my players have basically set themselves up as bounty hunters so I can see this coming up often.

Mostly, it comes to choosing the right weapons:

• Using Blunt weapons with a low damage cap (like clubs or quarterstaves) or unarmed attacks will let you Stun your enemy often and inflict penalties while limiting bleeding and lowering the chances of outright killing them;
  • Attacks dealing Grappling crits are great for incapacitating an enemy (there are a few weapons missing in the Early Access, like the net, that are perfect for this);
  • The Disarm, Knock Down, and Lock Martial Moves are your best friends in these situations, particulary if you're many vs one;
  • You can also use the Hunting skill to set traps! That's very useful when you're trying to capture animals, but you can attempt that with sentient foes, too.

Also, remember that most enemies won't fight to the death. Common Opponents like wolves or bandits may be considered defeated if the penalties they’re suffering from are equal or greater than half their CMB or -50 (equivalent to a Serious Injury), whichever is higher; if they’re Bruised ; or suffering from Severe Bleeding.
So by fighting defensively you can aim at dealing damage and low-severity crits to force them to surrender.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

How long do the effects of a grappling critical last? Such a held? Can a character breakout of this?

e.g. grappling crit 90-99 Leg entangled. Target dragged Prone and Held, takes +3 Hits and -30 activity.

Some of the Critical Strikes entries (including some of the Grappling results) have been reworded in the editing phase to make their effects more clear. you'll have to wait the PDF release to see everything that's changed, but for now you may consider the Held condition to persist until the attacker keeps hitting the target with grappling attacks (the penalty is a normal injury, coming from twisted tendons, pain, and such).

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Hi

Maintaining a hold: attacker may maintain their hold by spending a Full Action or by hitting the target with another successful Grappling attack.

Does the attacker grappler gain the held bonus of +30? and the grappled target have -30 to CMD and DEF? Or do these bonuses only apply to additional attackers/melee attacks?

Regards

Gordon