Forum

September 17, 2018 0 comments

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Having fun updating my game world of Kelleemah to VsD

Athair, Hosta Eldain, the Lord of Destiny, and the Patron Saint of Orphans.

What to say about myself? I always avoid writing about myself; part of it is the self-doubt and the other is the secrets that I keep. How do I describe what I do and who I am? I used to earn money as a finder of things which could be objects, people, secrets, and even knowledge. I have traveled the world and have seen many strange and evil things. At some point, I started searching these things out, not for others, but for myself; for I had begun to care. I had been avoiding my fate, for I had feared it. I still fear it, but I have accepted it. I started the orphanages. They exist throughout Kelleemah and I check in on them as I can. I never use my real name, but use the title of Athair (Father). I cannot save every child, but when I find one that is special, I bring the child to one of my orphanages. I arrange for the financial support of each of these orphanages and the training of the children. Unlike most children, they get to choose what they want to do in their lives and get the best training that can be provided. The Avar of the Hidden God has even named me the Patron Saint of Orphans. I am the only one of the Elvin kind to receive such an honorific from the Avar.

I do not live among my kindred, I never had. I do not know who my parents are, my first memories are of slavery. I was rescued as a young teen when a pirate ship attacked us near the entrance to the Sea of Caves and I finished growing up among the Free Peoples. As such, I am still learning about my people. The Elvin people do not know what to think of me. Some see me as a beacon of hope, others fear me. They wonder about the children I have chosen and why I chose them. These children are chosen from among all the races and are of either gender. They have grown up to be both good and evil, both famous and unknown, and so they do not understand my reasons. They never will I am afraid, for the ripples of fate are sometimes immediate, and at other times, farther down the path of generations. Even now that I have accepted my fate, I am not sure of the future. Will I be the hero or the villain? Maybe, I am both? The Book of the Crow Ravings and its prophecies only hints at the future.  The visions show only a little more.

Signed,

Ohtandar, Hosta Eldain, the Mistress of Despair & Madness, and Sky Rider.

Ohtandar caused quite a stir when she arrived, of course, it could have something to do with landing a fellwing outside the tower. Alaheru and Canefinwe should have known but did not take into consideration, that one of the White Elves could also be one of the Unseelie. She sauntered into the study where we were meeting and stopped, letting us take a good look at her as she swept the room with her gaze. She then whirled around, placing her helmet and weapons in the corner and out of the way. You could see that she liked commanding our attention. She then walked up to Alaheru as he sat behind his desk, and placed both hands on the desk leaning toward him with a crooked smile, and then said “Thanks for the invitation. It has been a while since I have been to a party.” She laughed and found herself a nice fluffy chair. I was surprised, for an evil and wrathful being, she was quite charming.

Signed,

Ier'Nagurfenn, Hosta Eldain, the Risen, and Fell Spirit.

The last to arrive was the fell spirit, an unliving Elf. They had recently risen from the waters of the Shattered Isles. Indeed, it was the day after Alaheru had cast his spell to summon the White Elves together. Needless to say, it was even more disturbing than Ohtandar's arrival with the fellwing. Especially since it squawked in fright and flew away as she walked by. It quickly grew cold and the fire under the mantel was snuffed out as she entered the room. She said nothing and just stood there. Ohtandar was the first to approach her, confident in her own power. “So, what do we call you? Lady Goul?” asked Ohtandar in a sarcastic tone. The fell spirit replied “Ier”. Ohtandar then said “The one, the one what? The one of the cold deep water?” Ohtandar seemed pleased with herself as she stared at the fell spirit. Ier leaned forward and whispered slowly to Ohtandar. You could see the frost forming on her cheeks as she blinked and her smile faded. She stumbled back a few steps, her courage gone. Alaheru asked “What did Ier say?” I do not know if it was fear or the cold, but with an unsteady voice, Ohtandar answered, “She said Ier-Nagurfenn.” The mood was dark indeed, for it roughly translates to… I am the one at death’s threshold.

Signed,

I start my campaign in Morland, for it can accommodate most of the cultures portrayed. For those in VsD, only Woad, Desert and Artic would not be easy to justify here, and the same would be the case for Fomorians; that said, the free people of Morland could have liberated slaves, from one of these cultures by way of a slaver ship, for too many lands still have such evil ways. The Hosta Eldain is one of the religions known here, for both Athair and Laew live within these lands. In addition, other popular faiths exist here as well; the Avar of the Hidden God, the Gods of the Dwarves, and the Cursed Gods.  There are others, but these four are the most relevant to Morland.

My game world of Kelleemah, has a little bit more, as far as gods go.  They are more visible than what may be intended in VsD. They are cut off from the other worlds and without their followers, they are far less powerful.  They normally act through their priests, champions, and other believers.  Some of the more powerful Avar are stronger than any god in Kelleemah. It is the same with the Hevel (unrepented Avar) and Anee (Demons). During the Faith Wars, many gods actually died, and some even became mortal once more.

My inspiration: The writings of JRR Tolkein, the Shannara series, the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Conan, the Thieves World series of books, The Lost Sword series, David Eddings wonderful books, the writings of Dennis L. Mckiernan, especially the Silver Call Duology and the Iron Tower Trilogy.  In addition, I have taken a lot of inspiration from the comic books of my youth, such as King Conan, Savage Sword of Conan, Sonja, Kull, and Warlord.

I will not even try to list the horde of great fantasy movies, television shows, and cartoons that made up my youth.

Notes:

1. Star Elves: Alaheru (Great Master), Canafinwe (Skilled Commander), Eregaha (Thorn of Wrath), and Ohtandar (Servant of Strife), Spear of Helce (Ice), the first King of the Elves Hande (Knowledge), the current King of the Star Elves Alca (Ray of Light), and Elena Arda (Star Realm)
  2. Silver Elves: Faerglir (Spirit Song), Foenbess (Radiant White Maiden), Ier'Nagurfenn (The One at Death's Threshold), and Laew (Many)
  3. Dusk Elves: Athair (Father), Caraid-an-Draoidh (The Twin Druids), Fiadhaich (Wild One), and Sireadh (Seeker)

So far, I have had to only change the names so as to be similar to what is being used already in the game. The loss of immortality is a huge part of the history and campaign lore, so there is no changing that.

In addition, Ohtandar can be used as an Antagonist. She turns on her charms when she feels it suits her, but she is full of rage inside. It is not aimed so much at the world, but at the Darkmaster that betrayed her; the Lotan-Tiamat, the Mad Queen of Dragons.

Ier'Nagurfenn is also suited to be an Antagonist. She is angry at being drawn back into the world.

I have a normal humanoid creature that lives in the far north in Suthiemer. It is called by the people that live there, the Vigaferli, which means "Man Slaughterer". I used the Fomorian for these creatures and pumped it up to large and added antlers (using the horn rules from its list) to replace the original creature. It has a more elk look for the head, but still has sharp teeth.

Vigaferli (Large Horned Fomorians)

1. Level 8 Elite
  2. MR 20L
  3. DEF +40
  4. TSR +55
  5. WSR +40
  6. HP 180
  7. 1st Attack +150 Weapon
  8. 2nd Attack +120 Large Claw
  9. 3rd Attack +100 Large Bite
  10. CT is NH
  11. Rog +40
  12. Adv +60
  13. Lor +0

"The Vigaferli,

The Vigaferli are an old race and have been here much longer than we have. And we have been here since the second Shamad War that was over 1,700 years ago. Vigaferli is not the name that they call themselves, for nobody can understand their mournful calls. Vigaferli is the name given to them by the Vagoth and it means, the man slaughterers.  They often hunt silently in small bands of two to five members. But within the far northern valley of Kalladalr, they move more openly and often call out to each other. The sound travels over a great distance. The Vigaferli are fierce antlered beasts that are as powerful as five warriors; their call should instill dread. But, those who have returned from the Kalladalr speak well of this place. As dangerous as it is, the varying tones of their calls echoing across the valley are described as haunting, but beautiful.

Signed

Athair, Hosta Eldain, the Lord of Destiny, and the Patron Saint of Orphans"

The Coming of the Avar,

It is believed, that the Avar was the first to arrive in Kelleemah. Whispered rumors say that they once rebelled against their "Hidden God" that they do not name.  They were smitten down at the battle of Dudael by their god's heavenly hosts. They were then banished here with new bodies born out of pain.  Most of the Avar repented and chose to serve their god once again, while a small band still refused are known as the Hevel.  Three times the repented have saved this world from the invading Anee and the Avar once again intervened to end the Faith Wars. It is these winged fire-eyed beings that grace many of our maps.  Most are symbols of goodness, bravery, and redemption.  A reminder, that both the immortals and the mortal kind are trapped here together.

Their realm is known as Rovgan and has been split into two realms. The western realm is ruled by the High Court of the Avar. It is split into two factions; the Shamayeem Qahal and the Teyvel Qahal. Each has four High Avar as members and Ratsah, the Supreme Avar, presides over the High Court and is the tie-breaker in any decisions. There are six empty chairs. Three belonged to the Gever Qahal and the other three belonged to the Lamad Qahal. But, the Gever Qahal has informally established their independence with the ending of the Faith Wars and control the eastern lands of Rovgan while the Lamad Qahal have left altogether and established separate monasteries in various parts of Kelleemah. The loss of these factions has placed a great strain on Ratsah and it is said that he is becoming more unstable and paranoid as the years pass. Many worry about what this may forebode for our people. Especially if the Hevel of Mount Sana and the Caverns of Bagad Kaar, should take advantage of any opportunities that would present themselves. Two others are said to exist within the world of Kelleemah, but little is known other than legends. Alamtsaphan has never been seen within Keleemah, even by the other Avar. Only whispers of his existence have ever been heard and all attempts to find him have failed. Marahshamad is said to be imprisoned below the desert of Dudael, so named after the final battle that led them to be banished here. It is whispered that should Marahshamad and her Avare ever escape their prison, it would be the end of this world.

Signed,

Ratsah, the Supreme Avar of Rovgan, and the Repented of the Hidden God

Ratsah is the Supreme Avar of Rovgan and presides over the High Court of the Avar. He has 19 Avare that serve him (As does each of the High Avar). It is said that he is the only one that still communes with their Hidden God. He has always received visions from his lord and even here, within their Kelleemah, it is said that he still perceives these visions, but with far less clarity. The Avare was punished before for sharing their lives and knowledge with mortals. As such, all Avare is to no longer sire nor give birth outside of their own. And Ratsah has forbidden the members of the High Court from interfering with the affairs of the other races. The armies of the Avare are those with split lineage, Avare and Man that were sired before the coming to Kelleemah. The Avare have only left Rovgan to wage war against the Anee during the Shamad Wars, but the Gever Qahal recently (in the time of the Avare) ended the Faith Wars by force and the Lamad Qahal have left to secret places to share their knowledge anyway. Some of the other races have started worshiping the Avare's Hidden God, but pray to the High Avare instead, asking them to intercede on their behalf with the Hidden God. As such, they have started answering some of these prayers. Ratsah is also known as the Avar of Mercy and the Protector of the Dead.

Signed,

The Shamayeem Qahal

Gevorah is the High Avar of the Guardians of the High Court. These are the remnants of the combined armies of Ratsah, the Shamayeem Qahal, and the Teyvel Qahal. Following their devastating defeat at the battle of Dudael, It took the remaining warriors of 180 Avare to make a single Battle Host; such was the loss that day, for each Avar used to have its own Battle Host of 6,635 warriors. Avar is male, Avari is female and Avare is plural. The members of the Shamayeem Qahal consist of Gevorah, Eytyom, Anangeshem, and Talshaqah. Eytyom is the Avar of Time, Good Fortune, and Fate.  Anangeshem is the Avar of Storms, Snow, and the Seasons. Talshaqah is the Avari of Springs, Rivers, Lakes, and Oceans.

Signed,

The Teyvel Qahal

Barzel is the Avar of the Mountains, the Caverns below, and all forms of Metals & Gems. He is the holder of The Grimoire of Teyvel and it is said to hold the location of all the precious metals and gems throughout Kelleemah. The members of the Teyvel Qahal consists of Barzel, Nahham, Yaargan, and Aravah. Nahham is the Avari of all the creatures upon Kelleemah.  Yaargan is the Avari of all the fertile places upon Keleemah.  Aravah is the Avar of all the desolate places upon Keleemah.

Signed,

The Lamad Qahal

The Lamad Qahal have left Rovgan and once more seek to teach those mortals that they believe are worthy. While before, they had done so for the prestige among men, they now do so to prepare for another war with the Anee, should it come. All of their monasteries are spread throughout Kelleemah in the most remote and secret of places. Tamamor is the Avar of physical perfection. Tamamor and his nineteen Avare seek to train the best warriors and champions within Kelleemah.  Tahor'rahham is the Avar of purity.  He and his Avars seek to train the best of the animists within Kelleemah. Tovlamad is the Avar of Knowledge. He and his Avare seek to train the best of the wizards in Kelleemah.  There are a total of 60 hidden monasteries. The Lamad Qahal do not have any warriors, let alone a battle host. Beware, for they have found their own protectors.

Signed,