Forum

September 17, 2018 0 comments

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Horses for Plains/Rohirrim and others

The inspirational source of all this is based in overland treks on foot but does include horses and horse cultures, and the setting I'm updating has them too - switched over to be "saxons on horses" so that "as it just happens" artwork/character images for Rohirrim work for them.

This leads to a couple of questions.

First, there's a Warhorse in the Bestiary, and there are two warhorses in the Mounts section of Equipment list - p.165, the Courser and the Destrier.  I assume that is for the Courser as that's literally "the typical warhorse", so that would be the Ride bonus applicable.

Second, the character sheet p.475 or so has a Rouncey/Riding Horse, the type more typical for a Wealth 2 PC to have and what I assume the Noble culture option choice gives.  For its TSR/WSR I think it would be Level 2 and unlike the warhorse at Level 5, it would not have have a bumped up TSR just 10.  The warhorse has a poor WSR for its level, so I think the riding horse would have WSR 5.  Does that seem right?

Looking back to MERP I think the best horse-source is Riders of Rohan, it also had Light and Heavy Warhorses (as well as Light, Medium, Heavy horses per se for two time periods). If there hasn't been any playtesting etc. on subject, I would template the other horses off the RoR variation from baseline established adjusting in the directions MERP adjusted.  The horses in VsD appear a bit faster than the straight MERP conversion guideline.

Does any or all of that make sense?

[quote]First, there's a Warhorse in the Bestiary, and there are two warhorses in the Mounts section of Equipment list - p.165, the Courser and the Destrier.  I assume that is for the Courser as that's literally "the typical warhorse", so that would be the Ride bonus applicable.[/quote]

Yes, the warhorse in the Bestiary is a Courser, for the Destrier, I'd simply add a couple levels to that warhorse.

[quote]Second, the character sheet p.475 or so has a Rouncey/Riding Horse, the type more typical for a Wealth 2 PC to have and what I assume the Noble culture option choice gives.  For its TSR/WSR I think it would be Level 2 and unlike the warhorse at Level 5, it would not have have a bumped up TSR just 10.  The warhorse has a poor WSR for its level, so I think the riding horse would have WSR 5.  Does that seem right?[/quote]

That seems fair to me, Athelstane has a rouncey in his equipment, should you need a reference.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Thanks, yes it was Athelstane's Rouncey I was looking at.

So adding 2 levels to the Courser for Destrier (making it 7) and using MERP as guideline I think it's okay they're the same Fare since MERP would make the Destrier:

• a bit slower, say a MR 35, and a lower DEF (both functions of being bulkier, less maneuverable) - which is what MERP did
  • the levels give better HPs (+10 for 2 levels), better Att (say +85, I notice the warhorse in bestiary has just under 2 ranks/level bonus to its Att), Better TSR of +40 and WSR of +20, Adv +55 (again warhorse has just shy of 2 ranks/level in this) and the better Ride Modifier as given in Equipment section.

So for the PC who can afford one, it's not so much "luck out and get a Destrier" but make a choice a Courser or a slower less nimble animal but with the benefits outlined.

I was also thinking about the Born to Saddle advantage of a superior breed and what that would mean, I think letting the player choose to give a +5 bonus to two of the four following would work: Def, TSR, WSR and Ride Bonus (not every breed/horse is identical).

Rob

Quote from Rob Harper on November 20, 2020, 11:57 pm

So adding 2 levels to the Courser for Destrier (making it 7) and using MERP as guideline I think it's okay they're the same Fare since MERP would make the Destrier:

• a bit slower, say a MR 35, and a lower DEF (both functions of being bulkier, less maneuverable) - which is what MERP did
  • the levels give better HPs (+10 for 2 levels), better Att (say +85, I notice the warhorse in bestiary has just under 2 ranks/level bonus to its Att), Better TSR of +40 and WSR of +20, Adv +55 (again warhorse has just shy of 2 ranks/level in this) and the better Ride Modifier as given in Equipment section.

So for the PC who can afford one, it's not so much "luck out and get a Destrier" but make a choice a Courser or a slower less nimble animal but with the benefits outlined.

Yep, I'd say that's perfectly fine.

About the "superior breed", we left it vague so that it could be adapted more easily to different settings and play groups. We usually let players choose any horse with a positive riding bonus, or an unusual mount that fits the character's background.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.