Forum

September 17, 2018 0 comments

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

House rules?

Looking over the PDF have you (players/GM) given thought to possible house rules?

Ive thought about 2 so far.  One is treasure- I just prefer actual treasure. Counting coins, buying items, etc.

The other is overcasting.  Letting a lower level caster try a harder spell , or to make a spell more powerful- but at risk.

Just some thoughts.

I’m not one of the designers, but, for me, yep and yep. My players and I have had a very difficult time with WL (check out the Fellowship of the Five playtest for specifics), and since the beginning I have been allowing overcasting. The designers have strongly suggested that overcasting will be a feature of the full rules.

I'm thinking of house ruling the way weapon lengths affect combat to an extent: the system as is is simple and great, but it's a bit too abstracted and doesn't lend itself to dynamic combat where vying for position is important (imagine someone with a knife getting into brawling distance when all you've got is a polearm). I might just adapt the vying for position rules from Burning Wheel, which of course will require some adaptation, but a simple opposed SWI check to see who's in better position and with scaling bonuses to CMB relative to difference in weapon length (i.e. if the dude with the longspear has the advantage over the guy with the knife, they'd get a whopping +15 to CMB as long as they managed to hold on to their advantage).

Quote from Patrik Renholm on June 13, 2019, 1:57 pm

I'm thinking of house ruling the way weapon lengths affect combat to an extent: the system as is is simple and great, but it's a bit too abstracted and doesn't lend itself to dynamic combat where vying for position is important (imagine someone with a knife getting into brawling distance when all you've got is a polearm). I might just adapt the vying for position rules from Burning Wheel, which of course will require some adaptation, but a simple opposed SWI check to see who's in better position and with scaling bonuses to CMB relative to difference in weapon length (i.e. if the dude with the longspear has the advantage over the guy with the knife, they'd get a whopping +15 to CMB as long as they managed to hold on to their advantage).

Knife vs spear is pretty tough (never bring a knife to a spear fight! ^_^), but remember that you can Parry! Your opponent can strike first, but you can avoid the blow and then retaliate.

In any case, keep in mind that the full rules will include more combat options, some of which are particularly good against enemies wielding a longer weapon.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.