Forum

September 17, 2018 0 comments

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

ineffective attacks and parrying

Hello

I was wondering if a parry can be used to make an opponent's attack ineffective (as outlined p187).

Also DB and shields can potentially lower an attack below 0, does that make the attack ineffective?

Thus,  skilled combatants could potentially suppress the attack roll of lesser skilled characters.

Is this intention of this rule?

Yes, lesser skilled characters will have to find some way of negating part of their opponent's defenses, for example by charging, flanking, or using some martial move.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

OK thanks

Just to be sure, because I like this rule and want to use it:

This would mean someone like Deirdre would need to avoid combat at all costs. Against a 1/2 Orc scout her attack is useless in a stand up fight (10 with a staff, vs. Orc with Def 15), unless she manages to flank, charge, feint, disarm or knockdown. (Her most effective spell at 1st is hinder, which may not prevent the orc from engaging).

On the other end of the spectrum is Athelstane who could use 25 to parry and has + 15 def, which would completely suppress the attack of the same 1/2 orc ( at +40 attack). Now the orc needs to charge, flank or try a martial maneuver in order to get a roll to hit. Athelstane can still hit with +60. The best tactic for the orcs in this case is to gang up on Athelstane so that he can't parry everyone's attack  and give the orcs a better chance to flank him.

It seems like this rule is an effective way of making the combat more tactical and descriptive.

I suppose the designated parry bonus should be declared when actions are declared, but secretly?

All the best.

That's correct (well, unless Deirdre uses her shapechanger ability ^_^), the rule is meant to speed up combat, avoid unnecessary rolls, and force players to be a little more creative than just keep saying "I attack".

About parry declaration, it can be both overt or decided in secret, depends on the group. We've done both and found that secret parry slows the game down a little but adds a little uncertainity and tactical decisions, while open declaration is a bit swifter but obviously also more predictable.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.