Forum

September 17, 2018 0 comments

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Parrying and more weapon options

Hi guys,

I barely can wait to put my hands on the whole set of rules, but in the meantime I got a few questions from the Quickstart rules. Firstly, I have some doubts about how Parry works in combat. What I have understood is that you can divert part of your CMB to DEF, but can you do it for multiple opponents? For example, a character with +80 CMB facing two foes, could he use +20 for his DEF against an oponent and +25 against the other, and keep +35 for attacking one of them? Or should he use only a fixed amount for both, i.e., +30 for his DEF and it works against both and +50 CMB for attacking? Or you can only parry against different enemies when you have a shield? In that case, should you substract a fixed amount for all of them, or an amount for every enemy you want to parry? And if you have a shield, can you parry a missile/thrown attack and a melee attack in the same round? Do you must divide the CMB for parrying those attacks separately? Finally, can you parry a spell attack when using a shield? That's what seems to be inferred from the fifth point on page 63.

Another one is related to parrying limitations: do they stack? I mean, if a character has a two-handed weapon and is stunned, does he parry with half the half of his CMB or just half the CMB?

Finally, are you planning to include more weapons in the full rules? I'm used to the wide variety from Rolemaster, and despite we don't need all of them, I think that some missing from the Quickstart rules would be welcome, for example, rapier, falchion, war pick, cavalry spear, whip, etc. 😉

That's all for now. Thanks 🙂

Quote from Alex Perez on January 8, 2020, 5:38 pm

Hi guys,

Hello Alex!

I barely can wait to put my hands on the whole set of rules, but in the meantime I got a few questions from the Quickstart rules. Firstly, I have some doubts about how Parry works in combat. What I have understood is that you can divert part of your CMB to DEF, but can you do it for multiple opponents? For example, a character with +80 CMB facing two foes, could he use +20 for his DEF against an oponent and +25 against the other, and keep +35 for attacking one of them?

Normally you can't split parries. However you can do it to a limited extent if you're using a shield.
Citing from the rules:

• A character can only Parry attacks directed at them from a single opponent each combat round. Additionally, these attacks must come from the same opponent the character’s facing.
  • If the character’s wielding a Shield they can Parry all attacks from multiple opponents coming from the shield’s side in a single round.

Or should he use only a fixed amount for both, i.e., +30 for his DEF and it works against both and +50 CMB for attacking?

This is the case of the shield, above.

Or you can only parry against different enemies when you have a shield?

Exactly.

In that case, should you substract a fixed amount for all of them, or an amount for every enemy you want to parry?

A single amount, and this will be added to your DEF against all eligible attacks.

And if you have a shield, can you parry a missile/thrown attack and a melee attack in the same round?

No you can't because then they would not be coming from the same "shield side".

Do you must divide the CMB for parrying those attacks separately? Finally, can you parry a spell attack when using a shield? That's what seems to be inferred from the fifth point on page 63.

Yes you can, providing the spell is an Attack spell (Ball or Bolt).

Another one is related to parrying limitations: do they stack? I mean, if a character has a two-handed weapon and is stunned, does he parry with half the half of his CMB or just half the CMB?

No, you don't halve an already halved bonus. The three possibilities are only:

• You can parry with whole CMB
  • You can parry with half CMB
  • You can't parry at all.

Finally, are you planning to include more weapons in the full rules?

Definitely yes! The full rules will contain around 40 different weapons, and optional variants.

I'm used to the wide variety from Rolemaster, and despite we don't need all of them, I think that some missing from the Quickstart rules would be welcome, for example, rapier, falchion, war pick, cavalry spear, whip, etc. 😉

We've got all of those!

That's all for now. Thanks 🙂

You're welcome!

For no one in this world you can trust, my son. Not man, not woman, not beast. But STEEL... this, you can trust!
Quote from SOLIDToM on January 8, 2020, 6:08 pm

Definitely yes! The full rules will contain around 40 different weapons, and optional variants.

Wow, that's great!

Thans for the answers and clarifications