Forum

September 17, 2018 0 comments

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Professional Gambler?

Hi Guys!

A question: how would you build a professional gambler in VsD? Which skill would you use, and which Stat? I reckon it's a combination of SWI and WSD, but I find the skills kind of unfitting. Help, please?

Well, they could be anything (rogue, warrior, wizard,...), gambling is just something they do, a way to give a little flavor to the character.

You could make it a specialty skill, but I don't think it'll come up in play enough to justify the DPs expense. Remember, in VsD you only Roll if something important is at stake, and most of the times the gambler will probably just be winning or losing some money. If it's really necessary, you can always use Deceive to bluff or trick your opponents.

No, to make it relevant to the story and turn it into a major point for the character I'd tie it to a Passion or background.

Make the character a Daredevil or a Lovable Rogue, or make their Nature something like "I can't say no to a bet" or "I always play dirty". That'll get the character into a lot of trouble, show their gambling side, and earn them a bunch of Drive.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Superb inspiration, thanks!

And, not to open another thread: how would you depict a bard with the given classes/stats/backgrounds?

Do you guy plan on publishing a compendium of sorts? New classes, additional magic items and so on?

For the classic d&d bard I'd go with Dabbler plus the Bard of Ancient Tales background. By changing Vocation you can have something like a battle skald (Warrior or Champion), or a mystical loremaster (Animist or Wizard).

About the compendium, we're indeed working on something! We'll soon have an announcement about it.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Splendid news! Looking forward to throwing my money at you. 🙂

One more question: fo you guys have any guidelines for what you get for what amount of background points (resp what constitutes a minor or a major background)? Asking because I plan on coming up woth my own backgrounds for a wheel of time conversion.

Generally, Minor Tier can grant 2 ranks, or a +5 bonus to a stat, a +10 bonus to a skill, or a larger bonus in specific conditions. The Major Tier often gives you a special, unique ability that builds upon the Minor, or let you break the rules of the game under certain circumstances.