Forum

September 17, 2018 0 comments

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Quest against the Darkmaster (PbP)

“Ha ha! We shall be ready for bandits.” The merchant nods to his guards, and they heft crossbows.

“A loremaster you seek. Hmm…”

Ultan roll Charisma with +10 because of the fine reputation of Leofred’s Order.

Ultan, "Yes if you can recommend one, that would be most appreciated."

• Charisma d100 41 +80 skill +10 reputation = 131, so a success if regular difficulty or even a bit higher.

[OCC, if this works it as hoped, Leofred with the breastplate is the poster that gets you to listen to Ultan with the +80 who is the salesperson]

The merchant pulls his beard. “Yes, I like you, so I shall help you, and the Dvergfather says, anyway, that a favor given without care of reward oft repays ninefold. You may speak to my uncle, Spakskegg. He dwells in Mithalhollen [which is day’s trek from here? I’d have to check on the expected travel times by region that you Mythic’d for us]. You see, you are now on the boundaries of Skoghollen, the land of whom we call the Wood Dwarves. When you get further into the hills, you will encounter proper Hill Dwarves, scions of the oldest families, of whom I am one. I hight Penningskegg.”

Penningskegg dismounts and bows with great courtesy.

”Uncle Spakskegg has listened to the hills for many years. He is a great collector of tales, and he does try to converse with many of eminence who travel through here.”

Ultan bows his head and says, "My thanks, Master Penningskegg, I am in your debt and the debt will be honoured to you or your kin as opportunity presents - our kins are both long-lived and if fortune presents the chance perhaps nine-fold it shall be. If your uncle is a collector of tales, we will be pleased to add to his collection."

[Re travel, the hills are Rough though if we are on a road and going to a community I think it would be normal terrain - a days' travel encumbered is 30 km, I said it was 25 km to cross but that would be a straight line through, if the territory is an oval or such this would be going along the 'long axis' to the other side of it etc., and the 30 km could also represent a path around obstacles etc and not as crow flies.]

The group will follow the directions given.  As they are a bit over a third into a day when this happens, perhaps half a day passed, they won't likely reach Mithalhollen today.  Starting mid-afternoon (2ish) if they find any settlement or place they could pay for shelter and food they will stop over there.

• Ultan can afford (using the multiples rule) 10 rooms for 1 person (Fare 1 becomes 2, he is WL3), he only needs to purchase 4, and this includes stabling for pony and if available a lavish meal for 4 (Fare 2).  In each case that means 6 un-used items - either not really Fare 2 or just him being Fey and overpaying out of poor concept of money (it may really be the fey always treat anything 'more' or 'gifted' as an obligation to be returned someday, something that leads to trouble as others think they were being generous but really they owe something - that's a real phenomenon historically between commercial/monetized economy cultures meeting more traditional, reciprocal economy cultures  - in this case contributes to wariness of accepting gifts from the fey) and/or better service/hot water/a round for the house etc).

I say we keep it as you drafted — 25 km to get through the hills, but it’s easy to lose time by switchbacks, underhill tunnels, etc. So the fellowship arrives in Mithalhollen at the end of the day and is directed to the finest inn, the Hilltop Inn.

Ultan secures lavish accommodations for everyone.

I think this may be a notable location. I’m going to try to find some time tomorrow to sketch out some maps and details.

Strike the above. The Hilltop Inn, of course, sits on a hilltop, a redoubtable structure of stone and timbers. Many levels of the establishment (as with most of the structures in the Dwarven Hills) burrow into the hill itself, and it is known that there are many postern gates and secret doors in such places.

The Hilltop Inn has a resplendent view of the Council and Court House (on another hill at about its own height) and many other impressive buildings and fortifications at other heights. It also has a view of falls that form a river through a valley that is growing many crops.

Many bridges crisscross, under and over, connecting many lanes and structures.

Everyone is enjoys their meal and is glad to sleep in regular beds, perhaps Gwenhild especially, except of course Gyantwaka who is looking about for a place to sleep without a roof or at a minimum a chamber with a large window that be opened (perhaps that is within the 'lavish accommodation' prospect, he can set up his bedroll on the balcony).

Ultan will ask their host if directions can be furnished to the residence of the esteemed dwarf Spakskegg, said to be a collector of tales and lore.  The hour is doubtless late and surely we all (Ultan at least) wish to wash the dust of travel off and freshen before calling on a respected dwarf sage (hoping that's who this is), so that would be tomorrow - the 18th day of the 3rd Moon of Summer.

If there is any social chat to be had in the inn common room, Leofred will try to find out the 'lay of the land' and current events, "Is all well in the land? The lands of men and elves are finding bandits and other disturbances, even evil magics, growing more common." He will weave in as appropriate his esteem for the architecture of Mithalhollen and the excellent roadways of the region.

Prompted by Gyantwaka, Ultan will also ask if the host can prepare meals for three days to be taken on the road upon their departure - which may be the morrow or day after (the fellowship used 3 days of rations getting here and Gyantwaka is hoping to "top up" and leave the region with the same 'days in supplies' they left Elvendale).

[occ nice descriptions of dwarf settlement]

Everyone is enjoys their meal and is glad to sleep in regular beds, perhaps Gwenhild especially, except of course Gyantwaka who is looking about for a place to sleep without a roof or at a minimum a chamber with a large window that be opened (perhaps that is within the 'lavish accommodation' prospect, he can set up his bedroll on the balcony).

The meal consists of an earthy, roasted meat that the fellowship is told is a species of hill goat. It also comes with brown bread, a summer salad, and plenty of fresh fruits. If the fellowship goes in for stereotypes, it may be surprised that the wine here is just as fine as the ale.

Gyantwaka has permission to sleep outdoors. There is a pasture behind the stables that may be fairly free of droppings because it goes right out to a scenic point that overlooks a less-inhabited valley. He is given the "night-word": harkinn (hairy cheek) to satisfy anyone who questions his presence for the night, because the inn, being a reputable establishment, employs a nightwatch.

Ultan will ask their host if directions can be furnished to the residence of the esteemed dwarf Spakskegg, said to be a collector of tales and lore.  The hour is doubtless late and surely we all (Ultan at least) wish to wash the dust of travel off and freshen before calling on a respected dwarf sage (hoping that's who this is), so that would be tomorrow - the 18th day of the 3rd Moon of Summer.

The host is Baerjarl (male), and, at the name of Penningskegg, he is free with information regarding Spakskegg. He gives you directions regarding Spakskegg's home. Since Spakskegg comes from one of the oldest families, he dwells low in the valley, in a hillhouse (tunnels burrowed into the hillside). Baerjarl offers to send his daughter Salmar along as a guide for the PCs, on the morrow.

If there is any social chat to be had in the inn common room, Leofred will try to find out the 'lay of the land' and current events, "Is all well in the land? The lands of men and elves are finding bandits and other disturbances, even evil magics, growing more common." He will weave in as appropriate his esteem for the architecture of Mithalhollen and the excellent roadways of the region.

Leofred make a Charisma roll at +10 for you status as a member of the Evening Star.

Prompted by Gyantwaka, Ultan will also ask if the host can prepare meals for three days to be taken on the road upon their departure - which may be the morrow or day after (the fellowship used 3 days of rations getting here and Gyantwaka is hoping to "top up" and leave the region with the same 'days in supplies' they left Elvendale).

Baerjarl is only too eager to outfit you for three days. "You bring me honor with your pleasure for my board." He will have it ready for you when you depart.

Edit: Also, everyone +1 XP for making it to Mithalhollen.

Leofred appears to be the life of the room striking up conversations right and left - Charisma outcome is 240!

• d100 = 185 (natural 00 open ends with 85 then rolled), +Skill 45 +10 (now let's seem him roll 00 in a fight or a save some time).

For bedding down, Gyantwaka strolls about the area to get a sense of it, if the tree at the look out seems a good place to bed down or in he will choose it.  Leofred will check on the pony (as he always does) and also make sure Gyantwaka is happily settled (and know where).

In the morning, all wash up and take up the offer to have Salmar guide them to Spakskegg's residence at an hour not improper to call.

Everyone in the Hilltop Inn is eager to talk to the member of the Order of the Evening Star about the "troubles" up north.

"Yeah," they say. "There have been troll-raids. Strangely enough, they aren't killing none of us, but they seem eager to take us alive." Runs through the dwarf a shiver so pronounced that his beard bristles stick out straight. He shakes his head. "I won't let them take me alive, I tell you. I don't want to live to find out what some troll wants me alive for."

"Don't worry," says another. "We've organized ourselves well. Won't be any more trolls taking any of us."

"Tell him about the strangers!" cries a dwarf making his way to the bar for another round -- the barkeeps are much too busy here; the Hilltop Inn has the best view, a patio overlooking the entire city.

"Oh, yeah. That. Also there is mighty queer folk coming into town. They don't like to show their faces, and when they do, they're none too pretty, I tell you. They're seeking to hire us. Master smiths, they're looking for, most of all, and offering real fine gold with no stamps on it whatsoever."

The tree may be good to bed down in; is Gyantwaka going to do so now, or is he going to linger on the (outdoor) patio for a bit?

Leofred's face shows alarm at the tales of trolls and strangers, he stands up and declares in loud tones for all to hear,

"Friends, good dwarfs, hear me for you are in danger by reason of your valued skills!  These trolls that would take you prisoner have already fallen upon the dwarfs of The Grey Deep and it is no more. Except for slain and those left for dead, the survivors were taken prisoner.  This was several months ago. A survivor waking from wounds followed tracks back to the troll caves but they too were abandoned. All the trolls and the dwarven captives were going south out of the mountains.  This brave dwarf, Kal Windhammer, followed the trail south for over a month. He encountered orcs being pursued by the horse lords who dwell in those lands.  They vanished into woods.  Kal and the Horselords tried to learn more but were forced back, learning from an elf that the dwarfs taken were forced to work in a quarry and make arms for the orcs."

"I fear as well these strangers with gold who do not show their faces are in the service of the same evil that enslaves your kin and would enslave you.  I cannot say for sure but they may even be offering to pay you with gold looted from your kin, seeking to buy what they cannot yet force you to yield.  Pray do not render the treasured skills of dwarfkind to any who you cannot trust to make wise and good use of them.  If there are such in the town now, we should go forth and question them - are there any in this room now!"

Gyantwaka and others would be present during this and any "martialing forth to find strangers", and as Leofred makes his declaration Gyantwaka will be scanning the crowd - particularly any non-dwarfs - for suspicious behaviour and moving his left hand towards where his bow leans. Ultan will similarly make sure his left hand is upon his staff (casting bonus, he would have to starting chanting as part of preparing a spell which would be obvious - as long as that is so in this setting he won't).

Beyond this scene/related events, in addition to what has has been laid out above.

• Gwenhild will accompany Leofred on his 'pony' and 'Gyantwaka settled in' tour.
  • Gyantwaka will not turn in till others do - if there is nothing more significant before then yes in the tree.
  • Ultan will position himself looking out his window during his 'meditate in trace' (3 hours) and after that be more alert, keeping watch for any intruders, perhaps with his door open a bit looking down the hall to see anyone approaching any doors.

[OOC, we've established that Kal's story of elves being transformed into orcs holds.  Do PC's know of orcs generally as in "they have been around since the Darkmaster's first age rise" or are they "new" (Kal's report's framing suggested orcs are not new).  Are all orcs thought to originate this way as in "long ago the Darkmaster did this creating orcs as a race that perpetuates itself", and now "someone is doing it again".  All leading to, what is known of "Half-Orcs", have orcs been around a long time resulting in there being half-orcs?  Are they unknown (perhaps half-orcs are what you get when the transformation process is used on humans?)?  Just wondering what sort of test Ultan (as the most interested in orcs PC and also most scholarly character) might make to (a) know about half-orcs and (b) know if they might be mistaken for 'ugly characters' such as the dwarfs have described]