Forum

September 17, 2018 0 comments

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Spell types for Failure Modifiers

I don't believe there is a listing of spells by which type they fall into on p.124.

Do they sort by "spell list" or by individual spell's nature?

For example "Elemental" magic - would that mean any magic where the spell list uses the term "elemental" to describe it - Earth Mold, Eldritch Fire, Eldritch Frost, Eldritch Storm, Eldritch Tide?

Similarly does "Nature" mean any spell with "Nature" the spell list title and Master of Plants, Master of Animals?

Does "Enchantment" only mean that spell list or would it include "Mind Control" because such spells 'enchant' a subject?

What would be an "Alteration" magic?  Does this get into specific spells, for example Awaken Tree in the Master of Plants list be alteration?

Rob ~ wishing all best of the season.

Yes, we left it a bit vague to allow you to make different rulings in different settings (for example, Eldritch Storm could be considered "Elemental" magic in a setting, and "Natural" in another)!

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Thanks

I was wondering from a balance perspective in mechanics before "tinkering".  Keeping healing and basic defence (keep us alive!) magics lower risk makes sense in that way as does making "attack" spells riskier.

In Keltia/Orhan I'm inclined to make the "pure Animist/Nature" lores less risky and the Eldritch more risky due to their sources (Animism relies on the energy of the natural world linked to the Earth Mother, Wizardry such as Eldritch magics relies on the broader universe's energy from the stars and great beyond - not inherently bad but also not 'mediated' by the Earth Mother to be safer and more prone to 'calling on the wrong thing').

This would likely still require considering individual spells, not every Eldritch spell is "Elemental".

This is the sort of thing I would want to make clear in general to Players of spell casters as "the risks of the spells in a list" are a key consideration in choosing to develop it but which is likely not worth spending the time evaluating every spell as some may never get cast (though I tend to be a bit of a 'completionist' with things).

Rob

In that case you may even consider spells from the same spell lore differently, depending on who's casting. For example, Earth Mould may be considered elemental when cast by a Wizard, and natural when cast by an Animist.

Terry Mullins has reacted to this post.
Terry Mullins
Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.