Forum

September 17, 2018 0 comments

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

why wits?

also from the oxford Dictionary :Wits

• also witsThe capacity for inventive thought and quick understanding; keen intelligence.

‘she does not lack perception or native wit’
    ‘he needed all his wits to figure out the way back’
    1. 1.1with infinitive Good sense.
      ‘I had the wit to realize that the only way out was up’
  • 2A natural aptitude for using words and ideas in a quick and inventive way to create humour.

‘his caustic wit cuts through the humbug’

why not just use Intelligence. - what is wrong with traditional Strength, Agility , Endurance ,Intelligence, Wisdom and Presence. these are common gamer vocabulary that I have seen, Wits and Nimble have been used in fantasy games unlimited but wit is like wisdom its clever and cunning it is not memory or

perception or reason. its clever like a Animal or cunning like a small child .

Hi Christopher, welcome to the forums!

In the full rules we have some simple guidelines on using different stats for Skills, I think that will solve your problem!

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

hey I appreciate the reply . Once I buy a game I can make all the changes to it I want. LOL  But I do want to say to you all thanks for the remake and I look forward to backing it on kickstarter.

why not just use Intelligence. - what is wrong with traditional Strength, Agility , Endurance ,Intelligence, Wisdom and Presence.

I think the intention is to use language that evokes a more literative, dark fantasy feel, in  the style of Tolkien or Robert E Howard. Brawn and Swiftness have more character than the uber generic strength or agility, which could apply to any genre. However it would feel archaic to describe a modern body builder as Brawny, or describe the Bearing of a politician, today.  I do agree that Wits could be a little confused with Wisdom so perhaps swapping Wits for "Reasoning (REA)" could work? (Brawn, Swiftness, Fortitude, Reasoning, Wisdom and Bearing). Anyway, I think its worth moving away from too generic overly used stats. Since they are going to be mentioned many times at the gaming table, using more characterful stat names can really help define a systems setting in a subtle way.

What @Justin said, but not only.

We chose Wits because we didn't mean to measure a character's "Intelligence". Mental stats are a tricky matter in a TTRPGs. One can never completely separate what the character's potential is from that of the player who acts it. It is not easy to play a dumb character whose "reasoning" potential is lower than the player's; and it's obviously not possible to pretend being a character who's genius. And we also know that there is not just one type of intelligence: if we wanted to be precise we should distinguish between rational intelligence, emotional intelligence, etc. This is of course far beyond the scope of our game - possibly of any game, right?

Therefore, our meaning of "Wits" wants to imply cunning, the mind applied to practical tasks, rather than an abstract measure of a character's "intelligence" potential. Even a animal can be quick-witted, right! We wanted a Stat that would be a cross-benchmark for all the creatures (PC, NPC and monsters) of the game.

If you look at the skills that Wits adds to, you may notice there are not only academic knowledge skills, but rather skills that require cunning, applied expertise and quickness of thought. You don't need to be an astrophysicist or space engineer to be a good hunter, or a lock-picker but you may have an edge there if you're quick-witted! Furthermore, in the Full Rules there will be options for swapping Stats as a bonus for each Skill in different situations. So maybe you could end up using Wits as a modifier for your Edged Skill when assessing the combat style of an opponent during a duel.

Does it make sense? 🙂

For no one in this world you can trust, my son. Not man, not woman, not beast. But STEEL... this, you can trust!

Actually I really like "Cunning (CNG)", so may call it that! Brawn, Swiftness, Fortitude, Cunning, Wisdom and Bearing has a great ring to it!

Quote from Justin Wyatt on April 29, 2019, 2:32 pm

Actually I really like "Cunning (CNG)", so may call it that! Brawn, Swiftness, Fortitude, Cunning, Wisdom and Bearing has a great ring to it!

Well actually I was liking it a lot while I was writing it down! 🙂 We may definitely consider it!

For no one in this world you can trust, my son. Not man, not woman, not beast. But STEEL... this, you can trust!