Forum

September 17, 2018 0 comments

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Which campaign settings to begin with?

Edge, who took over development of all of FFG's former RPG lines, have just announced a new Midnight setting book for 5e.

What I feel is a surprisingly good fit is the Blue Rose Setting by Green Ronin. You have an obvious Darkmaster (or more an alliance of Dark Lords who are his heirs), and the dark, oppressive Land of Kern. Blue Rose's kins map reasoably well to the elves and orcs/half-orcs of vsD, and Blue Rose just has that epic fantasy "Good Guys vs. unspeakable evil" thing down, while still assuming a high degree of redeemability for individual people; also, BR and vsD share the "certain magic may attract dark forces" idea, which can be easily mapped onto BR's "sorcery corrupts" theme.

Also, I think an unforgiving combat system would actually fit with the notion that for BR characters, combat should usually be the last option, not the first. The AGE system that comes with Blue Rose, just like D&D, makes it extremely attractive to just punch your way through every problem as soon as you have reached level 4 or 5. Can't see that happening with vsD and its criticals ...

Quote from Jakob Schmidt on February 28, 2021, 7:50 pm

What I feel is a surprisingly good fit is the Blue Rose Setting by Green Ronin. You have an obvious Darkmaster (or more an alliance of Dark Lords who are his heirs), and the dark, oppressive Land of Kern. Blue Rose's kins map reasoably well to the elves and orcs/half-orcs of vsD, and Blue Rose just has that epic fantasy "Good Guys vs. unspeakable evil" thing down, while still assuming a high degree of redeemability for individual people; also, BR and vsD share the "certain magic may attract dark forces" idea, which can be easily mapped onto BR's "sorcery corrupts" theme.

Also, I think an unforgiving combat system would actually fit with the notion that for BR characters, combat should usually be the last option, not the first. The AGE system that comes with Blue Rose, just like D&D, makes it extremely attractive to just punch your way through every problem as soon as you have reached level 4 or 5. Can't see that happening with vsD and its criticals ...

Always wanted to try Blue Rose, but never managed to, is the new edition already out?

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Quote from Topramesk on March 4, 2021, 2:18 pm
Quote from Jakob Schmidt on February 28, 2021, 7:50 pm

Always wanted to try Blue Rose, but never managed to, is the new edition already out?

It's been out for a while; they used they house system AGE for it (which was developed for DragonAge), and honestly, I feel that it's not a good fit. They added a lot of little subsystems like fatigue, conviction and corrutption that don't really haromise well with the core. Even though it's a simple system, it feels overburdened and unbalanced.

But the core book is mainly setting material, anyway, and at it's a classic 80s epic fantasy at its heart - which means a little cheesy, but with a lot of obvious love that went into the worldbuilding.

The scenarios are a little so-so; most have nice ideas, but Green Ronin tends to publish scenarios that don't make too much sense on closer inspection. Still, I'm thinking about getting the "Envoys of the Mount" campaign for it that just came out; it looks like a big "Heroes against Great Evil" thing.

Could we possibly get a custom optional official setting that could be used with VsD?

Jakob Schmidt has reacted to this post.
Jakob Schmidt

Any peeps out there want to work with me to do a simple conversion of the Midnight setting for VsD?

I am revamping my game world of Keleemah for VsD. I am doing it a little bit at a time since there is not much out yet for Vsd other than the core rulebook. I am especially looking forward to a more expansive Bestiary to fully flesh out the game world. I invite people to collaborate if they are interested. charles.wayne.robinson@gmail.com

Jakob Schmidt has reacted to this post.
Jakob Schmidt

Looks really cool! I need to find the time to read through your thread on Keleemah, it's a lot of material.

Charles Robinson has reacted to this post.
Charles Robinson